Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Watch Out for dem Squirrels

Over the last several weeks of looking at both roofs and gutters I must admit I have seen some unusual stuff. There's no rhyme or reason. It just happens.

In the past, I have seen instances of squirrel infestation, including my own home. Usually these uninvited "house guests" take residency in one's attic. Since they usually don't have a key, they, like water, take the path of least resistance by finding an opening large enough to squeeze their bodies into the attic. Or they can eat their way into an attic. Wood fascia, trim, vinyl gutters or gutter guards are simply appetizers for these ambitious critters.

However, the photo below is a first for me.

This is an aluminum end cap of a gutter system. There is a small portion missing from it. We did not alter, other than removing it from the gutter nor did we cut this end cap ourselves. This the first time in 12 years that I've seen anything like this. I can only assume this particular critter was very determined to take up residency at any cost.

No comments: